Coving or Cornice

Thursday, 5 January 2006  |  Admin


Coving or Cornice


What is the difference between coving and cornice? is there a difference? Well, there is and In this article, we'll find out exactly the difference.  Let us start with the word coving, the definition of this word coving means a concave shaped moulding having an outline or surface that curves inwards like an interior or the circle of a sphere, and also a concave curved surface between the wall and ceiling of a room.

So when it comes to the actual coving itself we find that it's more of a plane type of moulding that is uniform in profile not as ornate shall we say as the cornice, this means that when purchasing coving you'll find that it's usually a little bit more cheaper in price compared to cornice, and a great reason for this is because when you have to manufacture coving it involves less work because of the plainness of the style unlike cornice.





The word cornice which derives from an Italian word meaning "ledge" is more of a horizontal decorative moulding that is used on buildings and even furniture, you would mainly see cornice over a door or window or around the top edge of a pedestal, also from Old French and from Latin cornix crow, but influenced also by Latin corōnis decorative flourish used by scribes, from Greek korōnis, so hence the words flourish and ornate obviously depict the work involved in manufacturing or making cornice which results in cornice being more expensive than coving.  When it comes to decorating your room we would suggest that cornice being a little bit more elaborate in detail would perhaps suit higher ceilings than coving.